My last week in the “Territory” (Northern Territory, Australia) was celebrated with not 1, but 3 x my favourite 150km ride near Darwin before heading overseas for some racing. I didn’t really set out to do that, but I’m sure it will keep me happy now for the few months I’m away.
The first time was on my own, it was head down, grinding into a nasty headwind for the first 75km and then playing race the road trains along the Stuart Hwy for another 75km home. Serious business today, so no photo evidence of the occasion.
The second time was to celebrate the Queens Birthday holiday here in Australia, where Darwin Cycle Club mixed with Darwin Tri Club to tackle the route which on August 12th will be the course for the Top End Gran Fondo. A tad more social, got to sit in (Boss’s instructions) and enjoy the ride, catch up with old friends and take in the scenery … well, it wasn’t that easy going but unfortunately a mid-peloton crash left a few friends broken and battered.
I used every skill I could muster-up in probably 3 secs to avoid the pile up and luckily escaped uninjured. That sound of bikes hitting road and bodies sliding, brings back terrible memories for me, and after a brief moment of emotional relief had to pull myself together to attend to the needy. A hard, nervous ride home after and also felt the fatigue set in from from the day before. I was pretty keen to get off my Cervelo, much as I love him.
The third time was today. A steady ride, with Kylie and Stuey kindly keeping me company … and in Kylie’s case feeding me super Gaff slice along the way (more on that later).
The Aussie dry season day was sensational for cycling and it went like this …
Recommended before, during and after riding. Made and supplied by Kylie (Gaff) throughout the journey and guaranteed for a super boost 10-15mins after consuming. She kindly even donated the recipe. Thanks Gaff!
- 1 cup rolled oats (or muesli)
- 1 cup Rice Bubbles
- 4 Weet-Bix, crushed
- 1 cup coconut
- ½ cup apricots, chopped
- ½ cup dates, chopped
- ½ cup apricots, chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 125 grams butter
- Combine oats, rice bubbles, weet-bix, coconut, apricots and dates in a large bowl, mix well.
- Combine sugar, honey, peanut butter and butter in a saucepan, heat until melted, then stirring constantly for 5 minutes, or until mixture is thick and caramel in colour.
- Combine the 2 mixtures, mix well, press into a slice tin lined with baking paper, cut into squares, refrigerate.
- Can substitute other fruit for the dates and apricots, different nuts for the walnuts, muesli for the oats and white or raw sugar for brown sugar if preferred.
The day finished with a swim at Lake Alex
Next stop Philippines for the Subic Bay 5150, then on to the USA.
Thanks Stuey for sharing photos.