Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/tbbh/public_html/blogs.teamtbb.com/wp-includes/ms-load.php on line 113
Diana Riesler's Blog


Another obstacle…

July 8th, 2013 by dianariesler

The day had to come where I had to say I’m not able to start at the IM Frankfurt. This day was this week and with a heavy heart I had to say that I’m not at the start line. The preparation were really going great and the training races showed that I have a good shape to rock Frankfurt. But sometimes your body tells you that it might be better to rest and you should do it. It’s very tough when it is in the middle of the season and all the big races are going on at the moment. This weekend half of my team mates were starting in Frankfurt and Haugesund, next weekend is Roth! But I’ve to stick to my plan and try to improve my swim and bike right now. You never know what is good for something! I’ve already chose other races and put my focus on them;-) Meanwhile I enjoyed things I haven’t done for a long time, e.g. sitting in the sun while eating some cherries and doing nothing, took some pics of Jo how he is flying in his cloudracers, read good books and doing nothing;-) Pretty sure that I want to do such things more often from now on!

Enjoy your life!

Post your comments in the forum

What a fault! Originally I didn’t want to tell it but they made a movie of Challenge Rimini….

June 8th, 2013 by dianariesler
YouTube Preview Image

Again a few months passed by and I didn’t write anything. But after the 3months camp in Lanzarote everything went crazy at home. After getting everything back in his place it should went normal and the training should go on. But the weather played a different game and we had to pack our bikes more often than I wanted to. 2 weeks ago I looked at the weather forecast: 2°C and snow! No, this couldn’t go on like this. I looked at the European weather map and decided to go to Italy and collecting some miles. By accident we saw that tot he same time was Challenge Rimini. Luckily they gave me a free slot. Drove down on Friday, Saturday 4hrs bike with 1500m of altitude. Sunday was race day: a bit fresh in the morning, a lot of rain and very windy but it got better with every hour. After 30mins of waiting fort he delayed starting gun my hands were frozen and I couldn’t close my fingers during the swim. But at the end oft he day I was happy with my result. I made 2 little mistakes where I liked to kick my ass for. I promise to work on it and it won’t happen again! Shortly we went home we did a 3,5hrs cycle again. It was a great training weekend down there in Italy. Back at home I got a bit depressive because of the weather: rain, rain, rain and max. 6°C. The whole Tuesday I looked for Last-Minute-Offers to Mallorca. There I’m sitting happy in the sun while enjoying my work. At least I train properly without missing some sessions and spend my time on the turbo or tread mill. 11 more days I’m allowed to enjoy the sun and hopefully our mid-European summer gives the winter a big kick to move away. On 16th of June I have my first race in my home country: Triathlon Ingolstadt. Afterwards I have to do a bit more training to get prepared for my 1st long distance race after my crash at the Challenge Copenhagen! Really looking forward to race IM Frankfurt. Hope to meet the one or other at or on the course down there;-)

Sunny Greetings,


Post your comments in the forum

Desert trip

March 6th, 2013 by dianariesler

„Nana-you’re 3:40 behind the 1st woman!“ – “What? You are crazy!” The 1st time in my life I came that close out of the water. It showed up that the last few weeks Jo did a great job when we try to improve my swim. But the road to Abu Dhabi was not that easy as the result may show!

The weeks beforehand I had really bad luck. End of last year I ripped my foot band and did a 6 weeks run break again. Then end of January I felt while skiing and my arm was hurting like hell. Did a docs marathon again but it showed up that it was only a bruise. But weren’t able to swim for 2 weeks. On top I got a really bad flue. OK, maybe it’s better to say Good Bye Abu Dhabi Triathlon. But there was my sister who wanted to join me. I was jumping from one side to the other and at the end I decided to fly because I didn’t want to upset my sister. And luckily I went down;-)

Like I wrote above I had my best swim ever, the bike was OK (not perfect because I stopped 2 times: first because an athlete felt down at the aid station in front of me and second I need some water but the aid station was too crowded and I had to wait for water) and the run was solid, too. Not as fast as I wished but I couldn’t expect that much after only 3 weeks of proper training! Think I haven’t said it before but I’m satisfied with my race and looking forward to the upcoming season! Hope training goes well and I’m back to 100% in summer to take part in some nice races.

Thanks to everyone who believed in me! Esp. Jo and Brett, our teamTBB and it sponsors, Rocktape, my physiotherapist and chiropractic and of course for the help of great doctors in Munich!

Train smart! Sunny greetings!



Here are 2 great links of the Abu Dhabi International Triathlon:

  1. http://tri-mag.de/aktuell/langstrecke/media/video/abu-dhabi-triathlon-2013-die-reportage-aus-der-arabischen-wueste-330
  2. http://tri-mag.de/aktuell/langstrecke/media/video/diana-riesler-mit-dem-schwimmen-bin-ich-am-meisten-zufrieden-32751

Post your comments in the forum

January 7th, 2013 by dianariesler

2012 wasn’t my luckiest year in my life… but I learned a lot! My first mistake was that I spent the whole winter in Germany and tried to get the bike fitness while I do skiing. But in my 1st two races I realized that I had no power on the bike. Then I had this stress fracture during the Ironman South Africa which gave me a 2 months rest. Finally I was back in June when I did my first long run for months which was in a race: Chiemsee Triathlon. It was a kind of experiment – and it showed up that it was a perfect one! We found out that you don’t have to run so many miles in your training to have a fast run split at the end of a race. I looked forward to my next long distance race. But at the Challenge Copenhagen a bus thought that my race should end after 80kms. Some really great specialists in Munich repaired my bones but still have to do a 3 months break. I learned a lot about my mind and body. I learned that triathlon is not the whole life and that my friends and family are still there. They enjoyed the time I had for them;-)

I want to say a special THANK YOU to all the people who helped me over those days! Without my friends, family and sponsors I couldn’t live my dream any longer. Thank you to Brett Sutton, Jo Spindler and Alex Bok – who still believe that some day I could be really good;-) – but without you I wouldn’t start for another year! I’m proud to be part of our teamTBB!

Post your comments in the forum

Maybe we should break the other arm, too…

December 3rd, 2012 by dianariesler

… these are the words I heart a few times over the last days. Not that anybody wants to keep me away another 4 months from training but the training progress was enormous over the last 4 weeks. 6 weeks ago my swimming looks the following: I swam 4-5 times for 30-45mins per week with 3 strokes with my healthy arm and one painful stroke with the recovered arm. The upcoming swim sessions I tried to use more often my broken arm and after 2 weeks I was able to use it during every stroke. I was so happy that I tried to swim 100m fast = 1:50min! Oje, that was not part of the script. But it came with no surprise to me: the broken arm was only the half of the healthy one! Solution: jump more often into the water and swim a little bit more every time. The rebuilding of my lost strength was in focus and Brett&Jo told me to swim with paddles, pull buoy and band (or I would call it “practicing drowning”). From this point on the mass went on: before my crash I wasn’t able to swim with those tools and it was more a standstill than a moving forward… that sounded like real fun! But I knew that I had to undergo it. After 4 weeks now I even can’t believe it by myself – the same feelings have my team mates Jo and Markus (our German development athlete) who become scared of me;-) I’ve never been that fast beforehand. That should be a really good base for the upcoming season!

Last Monday I did my last outdoor bike session on the streets of the foothills of the Alps for 2012 because the winter arrived here without any mercy. From now on I have to make some kilometers on my ergo in our garage. Not my favourite place but there for the watts climb up on the bike;-) If you ask me it can go on like this!

One of my favourite songs “HopHopHop” helps me to overcome the really hard stuff! Here you can listen to 2 songs of Goran Bregovic:

Goran Bregovic: HopHopHop

Goran Bregovic: RingeRingeRaja

Winter greetings from Bad Tölz,

Yours Diana

Post your comments in the forum

Fight myself back

October 22nd, 2012 by dianariesler

One of our very important characteristics as an athlete is our discipline and belief in our body. The last 8 weeks were one of the hardest periods in my life. I couldn’t run, cycle and swimming was impossible at all. I did things that I normally don’t do because either I’ve no time or don’t like them. All the office work was growing and growing over the last months – now it has vanished but I’m pretty sure that it’ll grow againJ Every time when the weather was fine you could find me on the top of a mountain. When I went to the physiotherapist or my doc in Munich it took me 4 hours because I had to use the local excursion train. But this had a really positive effect to the same time: I refreshed my wardrobe and this was more than overdue! Many of my friends couldn’t understand how I could stay that calm but deep in my body there was a voice that told me: “Stay calm and wait!” And I took this time. The same moment I felt like moving the fire was bursting out and I wanted to go on. I’m back into training for 5 days now and cycling goes perfectly! My run improves with every session: I run always 1 km more than in the session before and I already broke the 8km-mark! The only disappointing thing is my swim: I’m not able to swim freestyle. The first sessions looked funny: 3 right arm moves and 1 left arm move. It hurt like hell and every time I tried a little bit more. At the moment I can swim 3x50m free style – it’s still a long way to go and a piece of hard work in front of me. But I look optimistically into the future and something is telling me that the break was really good for me. I look at some things from a totally different point than before. From now on it means to get well soon and enjoy every training session!

Thanks to everyone who has been there for me and helped me over some dark moments!

Sunny greetings from Bad Tölz

Yours Diana

PS: the new glasses from adidas-eyewear makes me faster to get back into training:-)

Post your comments in the forum

How it feels to be at a race and don’t race

September 20th, 2012 by dianariesler

Last weekend I joined Jo Spindler and the IronCouple at Challenge Henley on Thames. After my crash in Copenhagen I wished I could have been able to race but no chance at all – still hanging around not being able to move properly. So I decided to watch the race from the side. And I promise you – it was harder than any other race in my life.

I got up at 4 in the morning and went to the start with Jo and Egoitz Zalakain (another Pro staying with us). I felt the same like in any other race: I was nervous and needed a loo a few times. Then the starting gun was fired and everything was gone. From that moment on it was exciting and sometimes really boring to wait and wait and wait (therefore I took some animal pics;-)…then suddenly Stephen came 1st out of water with a 5mins lead! Wow…. Bella had a good swim but another girl took her changing bag. Then I waited again: but no Jo wanted to come – it lasted 16mins!

After the swim I had to walk 3ks to the bike course. I sat down at the turn around and was waiting again. Meanwhile all the Age Groupers were passing me and it was a nightmare! The few marshals weren’t able to lead the traffic and a few times it happened that cars blocked the traffic circle and the cyclists had to do a really hard break down!!! Although it was intended that the course is closed for cars – I was going mad and the nightmare from Copenhagen came up again. But nothing helped – I had to give up and understand that the marshals weren’t capable enough!

After a while I realized that the turn around marked in the map is no turn around… I went up the street and after a few corners I saw a lonely marshal standing on it = that was the turn around! Wow – no people there, even the signs were a joke. A few cyclists were already coming and missed the silent standing marshal with the flag and crossed arms! I was shouting but almost every athlete realized it too late! Then after a long time Bella and Jo were passing me – they both looked good but the gaps towards the leaders were too big.

This turn around was a disaster – the athletes were missing it and then it was so narrow to turn that a few people got of their bikes and carried it around the pins while all others had to stop and wait for them! A few others athletes were crashed while they weren’t able to handle their bike, others crashed into the crowd and so on… Then the first athletes were on their last lap and had to leave it but there was no space for them because of the growing crowd. It lasted a long time till the street was free and the athletes got through. Once it was open all athletes were going this way but they were only on their 1st lap – so the crowd – except the silent marshal!!! -  was screaming and the cyclists had to get back on the course and were really surprised what is going on.

And the best thing of all: no marshals on the course: everybody was drafting! Only a few of the athletes were on their own – have never seen such an unfair race! If the 1st person stopped paddling the drafting one crashed!

Finally on the run course: Stepehen was still leading (he was one of the 4 Pros who didn’t draft!) Jo was in 9th position after the bike and very far behind the others because of his bad swim and the very good drafting skills of the other cyclists. It was an exciting marathon: Stephen had a perfect day and was leading till the end! Jo was catching up a few places and on the last lap he had the fastest split time but it was only the 6th place with a marathon in 2:45! Stephen luckily won, Bella became 2nd in the women field – Gina made a great race – Jo 6th and our companion Egoitz became 8th! All the waiting time on the course was a horror to me. I was sprinting next to them when they passing me at the aid station – running over bridges and join them for a while to tell how everything is going. This part I liked most. During all that time I ate nothing (was nervous and had no real time) and didn’t go to the loo;-) I had a few ups and downs because of this unfair but thrilling race. And when you stand by the side you always think that you would do it better! But you know that it is not that easy. All in all it was a good experience to me but I’m not sure if I do it again… a love racing more than standing at the side! Next time you see me on the course!

Best wishes,

Yours Diana

Post your comments in the forum

Hospital feeling

September 4th, 2012 by dianariesler

Within seconds I was sent from a 30hours training week to a zero hours training week. The hardest time of all was the hospital stay: there were the pre-operation meetings on Monday for the operation on Tuesday. There I arrived early in the morning without eating anything – that was easy because I’m used to it. But then there were so many patients in front of me that I’ve to wait till the afternoon for the surgery. It last a few hours and the anesthesia was the hardest part of all: the nurses were running to change the painkiller infusion with the stomach smoothing infusions – it last the whole night – in the morning I was done. The doc told me that everything went fine, except that there was more broken than we’ve thought and that the training break will be longer than expected but I’ll be able to swim and bike and run again. A few hours later they made some radiograms and everybody was shocked: a screw was broken and moved away from its original place! The world broke down around me: that means I’ve to do this fucking anesthesia again! I was scared of the feeling afterwards but they promised me that they put something in my cocktail where I won’t have this problems. The next early morning I was the 1st person in the operation halls and this time everything went well: the radiogram was perfect, I didn’t feel like vomiting and could get up straight after the operation. I was happy. The day after my friend, my Mum and my nephew were visiting me and they were hungry – I felt fine and we left the hospital for a small snack. I still wore my nightdress and they chose a restaurant where at the entrance a very famous German TV chef let us in and excused himself that they don’t have enough staff. It was a very classy restaurant and I felt like Cinderella in my clothes which didn’t suited at all!!! I wanted to be back in my bed but now we had to wait for the food… and it was delicious!

One day later I was allowed to leave the hospital and I was the happiest person you can imagine. Back home the recovery goes much quicker and my Mum helped me with the household. Still 4 weeks in front of me where I’m not allowed to move my arm higher than my shoulder and sometimes I’d love to put my arms in the air and jump around – no chance at all but the thought of doing it again is wonderful! Now I can only train 1 arm but studies showed that the nerves of the other arm know what’s going on and that they strengthen at the same time. We’ll see;-)

That are all news from the invalid station south of Munich… normally after such a break one is much stronger than beforehand – that’s the straw I catch and which helped me to get over this time with a lot of reading. Unfortunately it’s my left arm and so I’m not able to draw or do any other writing things:-(

Best wishes and always cheer up!!! Yours Diana

PS: Before I went to hospital I wished to make a very long walk through the mountains: 6 hours of one of the most beautiful landscapes I’ve ever seen! I loved it:-)

Post your comments in the forum

I’m lucky that I’m able to write this…

August 18th, 2012 by dianariesler

One week ago my way leaded me towards Denmark to take part in the Challenge Copenhagen. Everything seemed to be perfect: the pre-races were going well, my foot was feeling well and the weather should be perfect on race day. Never before I’ve seen such a city where they looked that much after cyclist and it felt that Copenhagen consists only of cyclists.
The race day was starting perfectly. I had a great swim and lost only 8mins on the leading lady. So, that was a really good starting point. I was rolling up the field from the back and tried to cycle concentrated and not smash the bike. After 80kms I was just 2 mins behind the leading woman and could already see the 2nd lady in front of me.
But from one second to the other everything changed! I rolled down a very big road and you could see in the close distance the next hill. But before I crossed the deepest point, they let a bus 100m in front of me on the road and I had no chance to get around it or to stop the bike. The yellow side of the bus came closer and closer and I crashed with 40km/h into it. I lied on the ground and felt that I can move. There was some pain, but with the help of some guys I got on my feet. I was crying and thought that the race is over here. I told the people to fix my bike, I wanted to jump back on it. But my shoulder was hurting and I couldn’t move my arm at all. Shit! After a long battle I cycled on but after 4km I realized that it’s not possible. They called the ambulance and took me to hospital. There she said, I have a broken collar bone. I said that I crashed with my head against the bus (thankful that I had the nice Cratoni helmet on my head!!!), but as long as I’m not vomiting it’s fine. After 5 hours they sent me to the waiting room where I waited for my friends to fetch me up. But it was terrible there and I moved to the outside. I had a lot of time on my own and realized that I had great luck to be alive! But on the same time I knew that they betrayed me on my win (at least a podium)
Back in the hotel I had a painful night. The next day all the pain was there: my head was hurting, my hip is blue, my shoulder and there is always the feeling that my head is hanging on one side…Luckily I had a big roll of ROCKTAPE with me: we fixed the shoulder and made a lymph-tape over it. It helped a bit to stop the movements in the shoulder.
The upcoming Monday I spend in hospital to fix my shoulder and hopefully I’ll be back into training very soon!
Thank to everybody who sent some kind words and helped me. I’m happy that I’m alive!!!
Yours Diana

Post your comments in the forum

3 weeks – 2 wins on the Middle distance!

July 23rd, 2012 by dianariesler

After this weekend I’m pretty sure that I’m back in the race circuit! It was a hard fight over the last weeks and months. I had some really deep downs but at the end with the help of my coaches Jo Spindler and Brett I fought myself back. Yesterday in Austria the Trumer Triathlon showed me and all the people around me that I can run fast again!

I had a solid swim and while we started 5mins behind the man’s field I had to pass so many swimmers like never before in my life! I felt like a very fast swimmer the 1st time in my life;-) Then on the bike I smashed everybody and the men tried to cycle with me. That was the hardest battle of the day for me! In the trainsition area I had a 11mins lead but I didn’t know this. When I finished my 1st loop (5 km) they told me and I thought that I can run just a solid half marathon. And it worked perfectly. At the end I run 1:27 and won this race in a very strong matter with a 15mins lead! Now I’m looking forward to my next big Challenge: Copenhagen.

At the end I want to say thank you to the race organisation director Sepp and his crew: great race, well-organized, fantastic crowd! Jo (who became 9th in the men’s field) and I loved it! Another thank you goes to Jakob, the boss of the hotel „Mohrenwirt“ and Eric for the support and nice pics. At last but not least: without the help of Robert I couldn’t have taken part: 4 days before the race I weren’t able to move somehow because of an injured rip! Thank you!

Sunny greetings from Bad Tölz!

Yours Diana

Post your comments in the forum