Delaware can’t quite decide if it’s still winter, or summer, or spring, or…Seattle. In early March, we had this nice stretch of warm weather right before the actual spring equinox, so I packed away my winter clothes, and of course we got hit by coldness in the 30′s and 40′s again. One morning we got hit by McFlurries again and I wanted to pull out my hair. Now I’m afraid that if I return my $14 snow shovel at Lowe’s, I’ll be jinxing everyone everywhere and we’ll suddenly get a giant snowstorm and I’ll be stuck somewhere with no snow shovel to dig my way out.
Then this past week we got a day in 70+, followed by some rain and sub-40′s, then up to the 60′s, rain again, low 50′s, and tomorrow will be SUPER SUPER SUPER DUPER EXCITING at 86*F! It’s like Mother Nature is having a silly April Fools’ joke.
Still, it’s not torrential Thailand downpours though, and I was disheartened to hear that my kick-off race of the season has been cancelled, as Koh Samui has been devastated by flooding. My heart goes out to the people of Samui Island; the RD said the roads are so torn up it’ll take over 5 months just to repair them and the pictures on Facebook are worth thousands of words…
So looks like my season opener is back to being Ironman China on May 29th. I’ve got no race reports or new training camp stories, so what’s a girl to blog about? I figured I’d go with the tried and true. People like to read about things they can relate to. They want to know what I eat, what music I listen to, who I’m dating and what kind of coffee I like.
I got a good response from my post on my treadmill playlist, so here is the one that I call “Spring Mix” despite the first state’s confusion on what season it really is. There’s nothing like a new playlist to keep you motivated when the forecast calls for rain! I’ve got a mix of new songs plus remixes of old ones. I put in YouTube links if you want to listen to any of them. My inspiration is drawn from TV shows, movies, random websites with cool soundtracks, the real radio and Pandora… I am a big fan of music videos (or heck, silly YouTube vids) too, so I embedded some of my favorite ones in there along with random commentary. Because I’m like a Blu-ray DVD with all kinds of bonus features.
- Ready 2 Go — Martin Solveig Feat. Kele. I saw this on the website for one of my alma mater‘s college parties. Sponsored by a friend’s energy drink company, SmartEnergy.
- Friday — Rebecca Black. Oh yeah, like the other 90 million people who have listened to this and watched it, you know you love it too. I struggle to not sing it when it’s not Friday, but sing it extra when it is Friday.
- Bring Me to Life – Evanescence. Say what you will about the Daredevil movie, but I loved this song and band ever since seeing it.
- Extraordinary — Liz Phair With Disney princesses!
- We R Who We R (Danno Darko Remix) — Ke$ha. Me and the wondrously trashy Ke$ha are proud to have a few things in common: we like putting glitter on our eyes, we’re “hot and dangerous”, and we like to go “hittin’ on dudes…hard.” It also goes without saying: “You know we’re superstars, we are who we are.”
- My Body — Young the Giant. ”My body tells me NOOOOOO, but I won’t quit, cuz I want morrrrre…” the PERFECT song for masochistic ultradistance athletes.
- So Yesterday (Radio Remix) — Hilary Duff. Favorite lyrics: “If the light is off, then it isn’t on.”
- What the Hell — Avril Lavigne. Just like the song, the video is totally fun. She steals a taxi cab then goes clothes shopping, then BLATANT PRODUCT PLACEMENT with her own clothing line! (I have her star hoodie.)
- Loser Like Me — Glee Cast. One for the underdogs. I remember in elementary school, I wasn’t cool enough to sit on the “popular” side of the lunch table. I love how the Glee kids end the video throwing confetti Slurpees at the audience.
- Canon in D Techno Remix — Johann Pachelbel. Another old favorite that tickles the bandgeek in me.
- Like a G6 — Far East Movement feat. the Cataracs and Dev. Special shoutout to my Asian-American homeboys. Even if they are partial to skanky chicks with huge boobs. But hey, who isn’t?
- Children 2000 (Trance Remix) — Robert Miles. A favorite from back in my college days. Or maybe even high school.
- Hot to Touch — Werewolf vs. Unicorn. This was actually from an episode of Hellcats, which I got hooked on after being inspired for last year’s Halloween costume. (I’m endlessly amused that I have the same outfit even though there’s no way I can do all those tricksy gymnastics flipsies.) “Werewolf vs. Unicorn” is actually a fictional band and they wrote the song specifically for the TV show. Check out the crazy cheerleader gymnastics:
- Need You Now (Joe Bermudez & Chico Remix) — Lady Antebellum. I love that this drunk dial/booty call song won four Grammy Awards, but it was a bit too slow to run to…until I heard a remix on the radio. Then I had to have it.
- Celestica — Crystal Castles. Heard “Not In Love” on the radio and browsed around for what else this band has to offer.
- Britney Spears — Till The World Ends. We all know the world is going to end in 2012, so we might as well join in on the huge dance orgy with Britney.
- I Want It All/We Will Rock You (Mash-Up) — Queen, from the Sucker Punch soundtrack. Oh yes, I rather enjoyed Sucker Punch… so much that I downloaded the whole soundtrack immediately and am contemplating skipping Ironman Lake Placid in order to party at Comic Con in a bedazzled sailor girl outfit. Just kidding. Really.
I like to abuse the fact that some people can’t tell when I’m joking or not. Happy training and happy spring wherever you may be in the world!