Don’t try to deny it Triathletes are all hard. But are we too hard on ourselves?
1 solid, firm, and resistant to pressure; not easily broken, bent, or pierced
2 requiring a great deal of endurance or physical or mental effort
3 done with a great deal of force or strength
4 potent, powerful, or intense, in particular
I was pondering triathlon, and the triathletes that I know both professional and age-groupers. I think if one adjective really envelops us all as a collective it would be ‘hard’.
- We enjoy suffering.
- We sign up for races that last from 2 to 17 hours for fun.
- We spend hours a week in the pool, on the bike, running.
- We can’t just pick one hard endurance sport with which to punish ourselves like runners or cyclists instead we prefer to pick three equally difficult sports whereupon we must master all three to complete the race.
- We sacrifice sleep, our social life, our family time, our work goals all in order to pursue triathlon.
- We spend hours a day thinking about our next workout or planning our weekend of training.
- We push water, push pedals, push ground every week.
- We sweat, we cry, we struggle.
- We dream of doing something that is unimaginable to most of the population.
- We do the impossible.
Yes, I would say we are all hard. Now, take some time to enjoy your next race, enjoy a day off, enjoy spending some down time with friends or family. Don’t forget to take it easy occasionally. It is okay, and you’ve earned it. I think most of us don’t need to be told to HTFU. We need to be reminded to TIEELO that is Take It Easy & Enjoy Life Occasionally.